Recently, I was approached by the CEO of a large global player who was looking for help to address a trust issue that was growing within his management team.
I readily put on my coach/consultant cap and started working on creating an integrated and holistic process to attack this team’s ailment.
Trust is, without a doubt, the essential ingredient to building a great relationship and, ultimately, a winning high performing team team. Without trust you can’t have relationships and without relationships you won’t be a successful leader, manager, sales person, team member, coach, …
Late one evening, as I was working hard on developing another mystical tool that was going to help us address the trust issue, I found myself doing what I so often seem to do… I stopped… got off automatic mode… got out of the box… and looked at the situation from a different perspective…
We needed to go back to basics!!!
And so, we came up with a set of simple suggestions… as the starting point to bring people back together. We needed a set of shared principles, so to speak… we needed to adopt a new set of simple behaviours and practices.
Many of the suggestions, people already knew. Many ideas we shared are common sense. However, so often amidst the chaos of life and work we forget the simple and powerful truths that matter most. And we all know that simplicity works… so, we needed to get back to basics…
These are the simple behaviours and practices that got this team back on the road to trusting:
- Say what you are going to do and then do what you say!
- Communicate, communicate, communicate. Frequent, honest communication builds trust. Poor communication is one of the key reasons relationships fall apart.
- Trust is built one day, one interaction at a time, and yet it can be lost in a moment because of one poor decision. Make the right decision.
- Value long term relationships more than your personal short term success.
- Lead by example. Let others be inspired by your actions. Let your team see and feel the way you interact with others. Trust generates commitment; commitment fosters teamwork; and teamwork delivers results. When people trust their team
members they not only work harder, but they work harder for the good of the team.
- Be honest! It pays to be honest… people will notice it and it will become a part of your personal Brand…
- Become a coach. Coach your customers. Coach your team at work. Guide people, help them be better and you will earn their trust.
- Show people you care about them. When people know you care about their interests as much as your own they will trust you. If they know you are out for yourself, their internal alarm sounds and they will say to themselves “watch out for that person.”
- Always do the right thing. We trust those who live, walk and work with integrity.
- When you don’t do the right thing, admit it. Be transparent, authentic and willing to share your mistakes and faults. When you are vulnerable and have nothing to hide you radiate trust.
About Luis Soares Costa
From the very beginning, coaching has always been at the core of my passions.
For the past 38 years I have been an Executive and Team Coach working globally with CEOs and their C-Suite Executives, Business Owners and top talent in a significant number of the major global companies (including a significant number of Fortune 500), innovative companies operating in new ecosystems and dynamic family owned businesses.
During the past 28 years, I have also been an Executive and Team Coach and a “consultant to consultants” developing partners and top talent at major consultancies, Big4 Firms and Legal Firms
As an Executive and Team Coach, I partner with you and/or your teams in a “real play” thought-provoking and creative process which inspires you to “connect the dots” and maximize your personal and professional potential. The aim of the partnership is to bring about a sustained behavioral and performance transformation and profoundly shift the quality of your and your team’s working and personal life, whilst maximizing your potential and generating sustainable value.
You can contact me at coach@LuisSoaresCosta.com and visit my Website at www.LuisSoaresCosta.com